It’s too bad mattresses don’t come with expiration dates or mileage counters for oil changes. If that were the case, we would all know when our old faithful mattress had expired and needed to be replaced. Until that happens, Universal Design Solutions wants to share a few tips on how the right mattress is important to good sleep and how good sleep is important for your health.
Here are a few things to consider when deciding whether it’s time to buy a new mattress and box spring/foundation:
- Your mattress is five to seven years old
- You wake up with stiffness, numbness, aches and pains
- You had a better night’s sleep somewhere other than your own bed (such as a hotel or friend’s guest room)
- Your mattress shows signs of overuse (it sags, has lumps, etc.)
If you answered yes to one or more (and hopefully not all of them), you need a new mattress.
Besides getting a new sleep set, what other ways can you ensure a better night sleep and better over-all health?
- Avoid eating, alcohol, nicotine and caffeine close to bedtime. These can lead to poor sleep, keep you awake or disrupt sleep later in the night.
- Keep work materials, computers and televisions out of the bedroom.
- Exercise regularly, but complete workouts at least two hours before bedtime.
- Create a bedtime routine that is relaxing. Experts recommend reading a book, listening to
soothing music or soaking in a hot bath. *If your current bathroom is not safe or useful to you, see us about an accessible bathroom remodel and safety makeover.
- Make sleep a priority by keeping a consistent bedtime and wake schedule, including
- Create a room that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool for the best possible sleep.
If you are having trouble getting in and out of bed, ask Universal Design Solutions about lifts and equipment to make the process safer.
Source: Better Sleep http://bettersleep.org